Welsh Genealogy

Content free to view 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Ellen Hughes. 1891 Census orr

bronnie

Hi there

Hope someone can advise.......

1891 census sees this lady, born Pwllheli, now widowed, living alone aged 55 and with occupation described as Grocer at 41 Holyhead Road, Bangor.

If my tracking back is correct, she was in 1881 a sailor's wife, living at Vron Lodge in Bangor with her 15 year old son, William, who was an apprentice joiner. 

There is a death for an Ellen Hughes in Bangor June 1896 and also another September 1896. 

My question, might there be obituaries in the local paper for this lady? If so, which newspapers at this time, please and also where are they archived? 

Many thanks 

Bronwen 

April 6, 2015 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welshgen
Site Owner

North Wales Newspapers now own and run or link to the newspapers at thie date you are asking about. The most likely newspapers are'The Chronicle' and the 'Caernarfon and Denbigh Herald' which are both still active.

All newspapers archives are held in the Welsh Library

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwelshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk%2Fen%2Ftitle%2Fbrowse&ei=GRQtVfG2L4GOPePugNgC&usg=AFQjCNFSFNTGBl7j04LbZsvBCNakHGx1Mg&sig2=YTUI7AfBQeQzBDkVrR_wLQ&bvm=bv.90790515,d.ZWU

--

:) Click here for free genealogy lookups :)

April 14, 2015 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Welshgen
Site Owner

There is another Bangor newspaper 'Y Clorianedd' but it didn't start publishing until just after the date you are asking about and it is in Welsh.If your date is slightly out it may be worth looking at

--

April 14, 2015 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Welshgen
Site Owner

I can see 4 possible Elen's in the census, do you know the husbands name so I may help you further

--

April 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bronnie

Hi

Thanks for the info re the newspapers. 

I don't know anything about my great grandfather's story pre 1891. He lived in the Dolwyddellan / Blaenau Ffestioniog area until he died in 1935. However he always stated, as did his obituary, that he was born in Bangor. 

My great grandfather gave his father's name as 'William' on both his marriage Certs. Whether this is true or not I don't know.  

I can find an Ellen Hughes and son as detailed in my first post in 1881, but I can't find them at all in 1871. 

I thought maybe if I found an obituary for this lady, it might mention something about family members. 

I have been stumped on this for years! 

Regards

Bronwen

April 17, 2015 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welshgen
Site Owner

That explains why I can't find any other relative in any Bangor census. Will do a bit more research for you. I get busy with other things this time of year, may be 3 or 4 days before I reply.

April 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welshgen
Site Owner

Your 2nd post said 'both his marriage certificates' so was William married twice and can you give me the dates. Any details like this help to narrow the search down. Had to dig out an old comp with Windows 98 as my discs with Bangor census for 1891, 1881 and 1871 wont work on my present comp.

--

April 24, 2015 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.